Monday, October 31, 2016

HOW TO HANG A QUILT

HOW TO HANG A QUILT


My quilt measures 55" across and was made to display as a wall hanging. Before attaching the binding, I made a pocket for a rod to be inserted into. I cut a 9" X 56" piece of fabric, hemmed the two ends, ironed in half, then sewed the raw ends into the binding seam as it was applied. I had about 1" space on each end of the quilt. The bottom of the pocket was blind stitched down to the back of the quilt. I was going to put a 1/2" dowel rod inside it, but they don't make them that long, then I read about the Hang It Dang It, but did not want to spend that much money. My husband suggested conduit, but that would make it stick out too far, I thought, plus it may sag.  I opted for a thick wood molding that will not sag, which I found at Home Depot, and they cut it to size for free.


I spent less than $4.00 for it. It can be hung by resting on a nail on either end, or by drilling small holes about 3/8" in from each end and putting the nails through those, and since I made the pocket shorter on each end than the quilt top, the molding does not show.

No comments:

Post a Comment